Monday, May 24, 2010

Giving Thanks





As most of you know our birth story with Carson it was a really scary experience. Today I had a lot of reflection on the day a year ago and I am grateful for all of the people who helped Carson and myself. Carson was born at home on our bathroom floor at 1 am on the 24th of May. It all went so fast and most of it was a blur. I am so grateful for the 911 dispatcher who talked us through delivering Carson and for how calm he stayed. I am so thankful for the fire men/ paramedics that came and cute the ambilical cord so we didn't have to and took us to the hospital. Sorry but all modesty was out the window in this experience and they were no nice and calm and didn't make us feel awkward. I think Carson would have had a lot more problems if they hadn't come so fast. It makes me cry just thinking about our little miracle and the blessing we receive in our lives. So I have been wanting to tell the fire department thank you for a long time now. So what better day than his birthday. So we went and picked up a giant cookie that said thank you on it and took it to the fire station. They were so nice. They gave us a tour of the whole station, told us how everything worked, gave us an inside look of all the equipment and their fire trucks. They took a good half an hour so show us around- and they were so nice. They gave Cohen a plastic fire man hat and tattoos, they let him sit in the truck and play with the sirens, and look at all the lights. Cohen had made a new friend with one of the guys- he was so nice to pick him up and show him around- hey whose birthday was it anyway? Carson was just shy and smiled the whole time. I am truly grateful for law enforcement and the risk they take to take care of others. It was a great experience!

8 comments:

Adam and Sherry said...

I LOVE all your new posts!!!! I can't believe he is already 1 where does the time go?!?!?

The Walkers said...

So much fun. I had forgotten the adventure that you went through when he was born. The fire station was a great idea. Kids always love it. Happy Birthday!!!

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Carson!!! Such a cute way to celebrate #1. :)

Kristen Brady said...

I love all the fun birthday pictures! What a fun idea also to take a thank you cookie to the fire department! Happy Birthday Carson!

Brandon, Christina, Ariadne said...

Awww...how cute! I was never able to visit a Fire Station as a child, and so I'm slightly jealous. :-) I'm also very thankful for those who work to protect us and keep us safe. I'm glad they were there for Carson and you!

Doug and Michele said...

I can't believe that was a year a go! TIME FLIES! I am sure you will never forget that day. We are also glad you had quick and compatent help. Happy Birthday Carson!

Liz said...

I can't believe it's already been a year! I still remember when Steve called us, we thought he was kidding.

it's great that you went to visit the fire station. We did that after Sarah's seizure to say thank you and she gave them cookies. I'm sure they really appreciated having you there.

Your boys car seats look so comfy. Can we trade? ;-)

Christy said...

I think its so cool that you went to the fire station on his birthday. What an unforgettable event to celebrate! Thanks for sharing it!