Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cohen's Stitches

So let me start off by saying that we started our Monday morning with flu shots. I had bought bribery and everything and we just got it over with because let's be honest no one likes flu shots. But they did great and I could finally stop stressing about it!
Well that night Steve was bathing the boys and he had gotten Carson out and was putting on his pjs when we hear a splash and then Cohen is screaming. Steve runs in and gets him out and then I run and his mouth is full of blood because he bit the top and bottom of his tongue. This I can handle..... I just put a wet wash cloth on it and made him rinse with cold water until the bleeding slowed down. Working in a dental office I knew that you can't do anything for a cut tongue except stop the bleeding so I was calm at this point. It was slowing down so I took him to our room to dry him off and he lifted up his chin and it was sliced open about 3/4 inch wide! That's when I lost it. I told Cohen he needed to go and see a doctor and he started bawling hysterically and saying I don't want a band aid (remember he just had a flu shot that morning so it was fresh in his mind).
I was not calm and Steve did great and he took him to the instacare and they put some numbing cream on him and made them wait for a long time. Steve was not very happy with the doctor. I guess Cohen was pretty upset but he was holding still and the doctor kept complaining that he was crying and it was hurting his ears. Also every time he tried to suture him Cohen would start crying and Steve kept telling him he thinks that it is hurting him and the doctor kept saying "oh no he just can't tell between the poke and touch". Let's just say Steve was on edge and let him have it. The nurse decided to numb him more with a shot and he felt the whole thing so it was hurting him the whole time. Finally (once Cohen was numb and Steve had yelled at the doctor to get in here and finish it....awesome) Cohen was so brave and didn't feel the stitches. So sweet he would close his eyes... that was his way of trying so hard to be brave!
After almost 2 hours it was over. Cohen was 2 hours late for bedtime and so tired and probably very sore! And poor Steve just needed some relaxation time!

Don't you think he deserved this! Afterwards Steve barely made it to Target before they closed. Cohen has had his eye on this thing for a while and we thought he deserved it for all he had been through that day.... and chocolate ice cream! He came home happy saying " I got a new toy"! Yesterday he seemed a little sore so I kept him on tylenol and by the end of the day he was eating normally- his tongue was pretty sore. He has been playing with his new toy for 2 days straight..... best distraction ever! I love how resilient kids are and how fast they heal. His stitches are looking great! And hopefully in a couple of days it will all be over!

As for Steve and I..... well we won't be winning any parent of the year awards any time soon..... maybe next year! It just reminds us of how grateful we are for healthy and happy kids! I love Cohen so much and he may be getting babied a lot, but I don't mind... he is my baby after all!


4 comments:

Adam and Sherry said...

Way to go Steve for telling that doctor who is boss!!!!! I hate it when they treat you like you don't know your own kid!! I am so glad he is doing better. How many stitches did he get???

Kristen said...

I can't believe the doctor complained about him screaming! It should have been a red flag for the doctor- or even if it wasn't, it's part of the job! Kids rarely like what doctors have to do to them and they can't suppress their hurt. What a jerk- I'm glad Steve was there and told him what's what! But sorry for Steve that he had to go through that- it's tough to tell a doctor they're wrong when they think they're always right. Poor Cohen- we've been lucky enough to avoid stitches so far, but I'm amazed because of how accident-prone Serra is! [And for the record, I don't think that rewarding your children for doing well, or treating them after going through something horrible is spoiling- that's called love!]

Christy said...

Whew that's not fun! It just makes it harder on everyone when a Dr. goes there.

Liz said...

You still deserve parents of the year for going through that. What an ordeal! Poor little guy!!! Poor big guy!!! :) Glad it's over for you.