Monday, May 25, 2009

Carson Glen Is Here!


Carson is here!  Carson was born in dramatic/traumatic fashion at 1:11 am on Sunday morning (5/24/09) in our house on our master bathroom floor.  We had been in the hospital on Saturday night, but were sent home because Crystal had not dilated any further and we were told that she was only cramping and was not having any contractions.  We got home at about 11:30 pm and went to bed thinking that Crystal would just need to endure some painful cramping until the contractions would start and we could then return to the hospital.  A little after 1:00 am Crystal woke up in severe pain and could not stop the urge to push.  She woke me up with a blood curdling scream for help, to call 911 and that the baby was coming.  After almost passing out, a lot of screaming, panic, and some much needed instructions from the 911 responder over the phone, I delivered Carson in our Master Bathroom at home.  Gratefully, the E.M.T.'s arrived just in time to clamp and cut the cord and they rushed both Mom and Baby Carson to the hospital in a fire truck (not an ambulance).  It was both a terrifying (in the moment) and amazing (looking back) experience.  I am so grateful that both mom and baby are doing great and if you were wondering; yes ... you can call me Dr. Steve or Steve, M.D. ... whichever you prefer.



This is Carson in the nursery shortly after he was admitted.  He was on oxygen and had a lot of probes and an IV in his little foot.  Poor little guy!  His blood platelet count was low and his oxygen level was low as well, so the attending pediatrician recommended a transfer to another hospital were he could receive more specialized treatment in a Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU).  This was nerve racking for mom and dad, but after a blessing from dad, uncle Rob, and Grandpa Bowers, we new that he would be OK.


Our first family picture (shortly before transferring to another hospital).  As you can tell, Cohen is thrilled to have a new baby brother!


Baby Carson before being transferred.


Away we go ... One too many ambulance (or fire truck) rides for one day!


This is baby Carson this morning.  He is doing great and is no longer on Oxygen, antibiotics, or an IV.  His blood platelet count looks great and he is starting to eat well too.  If everything continues to go smoothly we should bring him home tomorrow afternoon!  He is a cute little guy, if i do say so myself, and we are so excited to have him home.

15 comments:

~Jen~ said...

Yeah for pictures! I'm so glad he is okay and hope he comes home tomorrow.

Way to go Dr. Steve!

The Walkers said...

Your Dad gave us your address and we are so glad to be able to "stock" your blog. The pictures of the baby are so great!!! SO glad that everything is going good. We have had too many tramatic births. Way to go Dr. Steve, but I think that the real congrats should go to the Mom. Way to hang in there Crystal.
(By the way the Walkers are Kraig and Deb, your aunt and uncle!!)

Adam and Sherry said...

I am so glad everything is ok!! We found you through only a little bit of stalking :) But you are so amazing!!! I can't believe you went through all that and those pictures of him are priceless. They actually made me lose my breath. They brought back too many memories. Please send me an email so we can invite you to our blog. We had someone wierd on it so we had to go private. Our email is onhwy66@q.com. Way to go Dr. Steve and WAY TO GO CRYSTAL!!! You definatley diserve some awesome credit!!

Amber said...

Congratulations! What a great story to tell Carson when he's older. We're so glad everything turned out well and that you guys are all doing well. We'll have to come and meet him soon.
Congrats again!

Jeri said...

He is adorable! I wish I could be there to hold him when he comes home! I'm so glad that he is doing well and hope he gets to come home as planned. We love you and we'll talk to you soon! Good job guys!

(P.S. Make sure you write this all down so you don't forget the details.)

joseph and brianna said...

Congratulations!!! And WAY TO GO CRYSTAL!!! I'm glad everything is okay! He is adorable!!!

Kendall said...

When Steve called Shae and told him about your amazing birthing story I couldn't believe it. Go you!!!! I am so glad that everything turned out okay and that you and Carson are doing well. I can't wait to meet him.

karen said...

Congrats!! Wow what a story you have to tell him when he is older. Don't forget to write it all down, including all the details. We are so happy for you and thankful mom and baby (and dad) made it through and are doing well!! You look great Crystal!

Greg & Andrea said...

What an amazing story! Amber told me what had happened and I had to check out your blog to see the pictures. I'm so happy that everything turned out alright. and Dr. Steve does have a nice ring to it. :)

Liz said...

He is a beautiful baby boy! What an experience. You are both amazing!!! I can't wait to meet him. Let me know if you need ANYTHING.

p.s. I like Steve Brough M.D. I had scrubs engraved like that for Mike, and I think you should do the same. You deserve it. :-)

Kristen said...

I heard the story from Denise- you poor thing [Crystal]! Glad everything went well though- hopefully it doesn't happen in that fashion again! Cute pics- what a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Crystal!! And Steve too of course. Wow, what a story. PS I'm so glad I know about your blog now :)

Amy said...

Wow!!! What an experience!!! Congratulations! I can tell that story is going to be told for a long time!

Kristen Brady said...

Well Dr. Steve - I am so impressed! You and Crystal will always have an amazing story to share! I am SO happy to hear that everyone is doing well now, and please let us know if you need ANYTHING.

Dave and Natalie said...

Wow...all I can say is wow!! Congrats and hope all continues to go well (I must admit the funniest part of the story you didn't include here though!!) Send me your e-mail and I'll invite you to our family blog (this goes for all family members out there!!)

--Dave & Natalie (walker) Garritson

ngarrits at msn dot com